Sunday, April 18, 2010

As my interest in nutrition grows i've decided to do some reading from Ebooks, one particularly I read last night was called 'Weight loss nutrition secrets revealed'. Since it was PDF I couldn't copy and paste so I took some photos of interesting parts.
The book had some interesting view points namely that the whole calorie concept is poorly researched and a crap method that has a counter act effect.

Also one very important point it made that 'Skinny Bitch' also went into detail about is how BAD sugar is for you. In summary the books main point is that Lipids (fats) mixed with BAD Carbohydrates causes Fat Storage. So Sugar being at the top of the list of bad carbohydrates has made me think more.. It is a simple Carbohydrate that has been stripped of all it's nutrients. So basically it is there just to taste good but screw our bodies over. And Sugar is in literally EVERYTHING, well everything processed that is. So I'm thinking I really need to cut out processed foods, not just because of the sugar content but because I also can't be sure what ingredients are in there. I can't always research everything ingredients on the net before I eat it so perhaps I just don't eat it. For example there is a 'Sweet William' dairy free chocolate that advertises 'No added sugar' (as it is sweet enough) however this chocolate has an ingredient in it called 'MALTITOL' which I had never heard of.. So I researched it and the horrifying news is. 

What is Maltitol?

Maltitol is a sugar alcohol, an ingredient commonly used in low-carb or “sugar-free” products such as candy and nutrition bars. It is used so much because of its similarity to sugar in terms of taste, mouth feel, and interaction with other ingredients. Products which use maltitol and other sugar alcohols as sweeteners can be called “sugar free.” Although claims are often made that maltitol has little impact on blood sugar, this turns out not to be the case.

Maltitol Has Carbs

Maltitol is a carbohydrate. Although our bodies do not absorb all the calories in maltitol, this substance does provide us with 2 to 3 calories per gram, compared to the 4 calories per gram of sugar. (For what its worth, I have noticed that the claim of 2 calories per gram usually comes from literature provided by the manufacturer or the low calorie food industry whereas other analyses tend to be closer to 3 calories.) Since maltitol is a carbohydrate, and since it provides calories, you would expect it to impact blood glucose. You would be correct.

Maltitol Has a Relatively High Glycemic Index

In particular, maltitol syrup has a glycemic index of 52, which approaches that of table sugar at 60. The powdered form has a glycemic index of 36, which is still higher than most other sugar alcohols and all artificial sweeteners.



Maltitol can Cause Intestinal Discomfort

Usually this takes the form of intestinal gas and cramping, but some people may find themselves with diarrhea. If you decide to eat products with maltitol, you’d be wise to start with a small amount and judge the reaction -- as well whether you’ll be in a crowded room a few hours later.

Anyhoo, enough of that of course there will be a few exceptions such as Sanitarium Veggie D'lights, Sanitarium soy milk, Sorbet and so on but not more other stuff! I'll be making it myself.. Just to be safe.
Well that is enough for tonight except I might add for dinner I had a sandwich with Sanitarium Veggie D'light
'Bacon Style Rashers", Avocado, Tomato, Lettuce with some Mushrooms and Champignons (button mushrooms).

No comments:

Post a Comment