So the other day Brendon said he wanted some Anzac biscuits.. So today I decided to make some.
- 1 cup (150g) plain flour
- 1 cup (90g) rolled oats
- 1 cup (85g) Ward McKenzie desiccated coconut
- 3/4 cup (155g) brown sugar
- 125g butter
- 2 tbs golden syrup
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- Preheat the oven to 160°C. Line two baking trays with non-stick baking paper. Sift the flour into a large bowl. Stir in the oats, coconut and brown sugar.
- Put the butter, golden syrup and 2 tbs water in a small saucepan. Stir over a medium heat until melted. Stir in the bicarbonate of soda.
- Pour the butter mixture into the flour mixture and stir until combined.
- Roll level tablespoons of mixture into balls. Place on the trays, about 5cm apart.
- Press with a fork to flatten slightly. Bake for 10 minutes or until golden brown.
- Set aside on the trays for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack so it cools completely.
That's all well and good except I used Vegan margarine instead of butter, but I remembered something my aunt had told me that tasted amazing, I have icing sugar and my aunt once mixed it with Philadelphia and it tasted AMAZING! As Philadelphia is off limits for me I decided to make some for Brendon's biscuits. And on mine I mixed icing sugar with margarine. But it took every fiber and cell of my Vegan being to not even taste that Philly mix. Because I knew if I did I would never forgive myself and I'm proud that I didn't!
The icing tasted good but the biscuits taste gross :( too much bicarb soda I think.