The Health Advantages of the Vegan DietThere are many health advantages to be gained from following a vegan diet. Studies have shown that when compared with omnivores:
- Vegans tend, on average, to be slimmer and are less likely to suffer from obesity and obesity-related illnesses.
- Vegans are less likely to suffer from: osteoporosis, gallstones, diverticular disease, arteriosclerosis, non-insulin dependent diabetes, coronary heart disease, stroke and certain cancers e.g. colon cancer.
- Pregnant vegan women have a reduced risk of developing toxemia in pregnancy.
- Vegan children are less likely to develop allergies.
- Vegans usually have lower blood pressure and lower blood cholesterol levels.
- The breast milk of vegan mothers contains smaller amounts of contaminants such as pesticides, antibiotics and hormones. These chemicals are a potential hazard to the newborn baby whose brain and endocrine glands are still developing after it is born.